A solid night's sleep is like gold dust to most parents of babies and toddlers, and sleep deprivation is one of the most agonising aspects of new parenthood, but help is at hand for UAE-based mums and dads with a series of sleep-related discussions, workshops and activities kicking off on February 10 2019 at Times Square Centre in Dubai.
Running from Sunday February 10 to Saturday February 16, experts from natural-focused lifestyle retailer Egg & Soldiers as well as parent-support centre Malaak Mama & Baby Care are teaming up to offer information and insights on all things sleep-related, with the aim of helping parents to simplify and enhance the first crucial years of a child's life.
Read more: How to Ace Every Sleep Stage from 0 to 12 months
Combining their own knowledge, as well as bringing together local experts and ambassadors, your new sleep squad will be handing out free advice and sharing their own experiences on several different sleep-centred topics – including establishing sleep routines, sleeping safely and co-sleeping, problems with toddler sleep, sleep aids, baby massage for better sleep and sleep in pregnancy.
In addition, the Sleep For A Week series will include a practical session every morning, offering activities that will keep both parents and young children entertained. The sessions include a taster class with The Bright Minds Institute, baby massage class with certified Infant Massage Instructor Louise Atkinson of Dou La La, and a weaning workshop with Jordana Smith, Dietician at Infinity, The Family Medicine Clinic.
There will be sweet treats provided each day, while the Malaak Angels will also be on hand to supervise children in a dedicated play area throughout the events, leaving parents able to absorb the valuable insight and information being provided.
Sleep For A Week Programme of Events:
Sunday February 10 from 9am
▪ The Importance of Sleep with Dr Rebecca Ferguson, Clinical Psychologist at Vivamus
Discussing the facts on why the body needs sleep, the effects of lack of sleep and common sleep problems
▪ Activity: Taster class with The Bright Minds Institute
Monday February 11 from 9am
▪ Safe Sleep with B-Safe, along with Zahirah Marty and Jordana Smith
A balanced view of co-sleeping and how to create a safe sleep environment at each infant/toddler stage, including personal accounts from two working mothers
▪ Activity: Weaning for Better Sleep workshop with Jordana Smith, Dietician at Infinity, The Family Medicine Clinic
Tuesday February 12 from 9am
▪ Establishing a Sleep Routine with Cecile de Scally, Lead Parent Educator at Malaak
Focusing on the infant (under one) age group, a discussion on how, when and why to introduce a sleep routine
Wednesday February 13 from 9am
▪ Time And Touch With Your Baby, with Infant Massage Instructor Louise Atkinson, Dou La La
Learning about the benefits of baby massage, plus an overview of how Malaak Mama & Baby Care can assist you on your parenting journey
▪ Activity: Taster baby massage class
Thursday February 14 from 9am
▪ Sleep Aids with Sofi Chabowski, Founder of Eggs & Soldiers and Dr Kiren Sahota, Family Medicine Consultant at King’s College Hospital London
A look at the products and techniques we know work to help encourage sleep and establish routine
▪ Activity: Malaak’s Mama Morning plus Q&A with Dr Kiren Sahota
Friday February 15 from 9am
▪ Toddler Sleep with Jo Holt, Maternity Manager / Sleep Expert at Malaak
Focusing on the over one age group, discussing the hurdles parents face with changes in routine, toilet training, night terrors, moving from cot to bed and much more
▪ Activity: Mucky Pups taster class with Katie Jane
Saturday February 16th from 9am
▪ Sleep in Pregnancy with Dr Shikha Saxena, Consultant Obstetrician & Gynaecologist, Mediclinic Parkview Hospital and Up & Running, Women’s Health Physiotherapy team
Why sleep is so important for expectant mothers, how to sleep safely and correct the pain or sleep disturbance caused by pregnancy
▪ Activity: Prenatal meditation session
All events will be held at Malaak Mama & Baby Care, Ground Floor, Times Square Centre, Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai. All events are free to attend, but attendees must register in advance by calling Malaak on +971 4 328 4019 or emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org.