While the news of a little bundle of joy coming into the world is always heartwarming there's just something about celebs getting together and producing equally talented, inordinately beautiful offspring that makes for perfect escapist entertainment. So sit back and enjoy perusing all the adorable mini stars expected this year.
Chrissy Teigen and John Legend
Celeb couple and Instagram darlings Chrissy and John announced they’re expecting their second child late last year. Model Chrissy posted a video on her Instagram account asking their first child, Luna, what’s in her belly. “Baby”, the toddler replied. The expectant mother included a tongue-in-cheek caption: “It’s John’s!” and her singer husband later confirmed the news on Twitter.
The couple have spoken in the past about their difficulties getting pregnant the first time round as well as about the realities of post-partum depression, which Chrissy experienced after having daughter Luna.
"Having a baby is a big challenge for a couple," said John in an interview with Cosmopolitan magazine. "Going through that together strengthens your bond because if you make it through [having a child], you know you can make it through anything. I think it’s especially difficult when you can’t conceive naturally. You want to feel like everything’s working properly and want everything to be perfect, but sometimes it’s not."
The couple also received criticism when they revealed part of their IVF treatment during their initial pregnancy included choosing the gender of their baby. Read more about gender selection here.
The 42-year-old Desperate Housewives star confirmed her pregnancy in December with media mogul husband José Antonio Baston. Their first child together, the couple began dating in 2013 and married three years later.
The baby will be Eva’s first child and reports suggest the pregnancy came as surprise as Eva prepared to begin shooting a new film. The announcement was also a shock to fans who were aware of the actress’s past comments where she dismissed the prospect of becoming a mother. In 2014 in an interview with People magazine she was quoted as saying “It’s just not in my future” when the subject of starting a family was broached. However, a few years later she admitted that she had felt the clock ticking, telling them "I just turned 40, so I have thought, 'Is time running out?’ I should be thinking about [children], but I feel like my life is full."
Eva has spoken positively about her experience as a stepmother to her husband’s three children from his previous marriage, recently explaining that having her own child would be the “icing on the cake”.
The Kardashian/Jenner clan
It’s the pregnancy trifecta that nearly broke the internet. The news that sisters Khloe, Kim and Kylie might all be expecting is a tangled web that only the most dedicated fans have been able to keep up with. As of January 2018, 33-year-old Khloe has confirmed her pregnancy with her boyfriend, basketball player Tristan Thompson, whom she has been dating since 2016. She has also revealed that she will be announcing the gender of the baby at some point on the reality TV show, Keeping Up With the Kardashians.
Read our debate on whether you should find out the gender of your baby.
At the time of writing Kim Kardashian, 37, was expecting her third child with rapper Kanye West via a surrogate, but has since announced that the baby girl was born on Monday the 15th of January.
Kim opted for a surrogate after carrying her first two children, North and Saint, to term naturally but experienced hugely traumatic births for both. She explained that her doctors advised against another pregnancy, quoting them as saying she might “bleed to death” as she has suffered from toxaemia and a retained placenta in the past.
Read about the impact of traumatic birth experiences: How childbirth is giving women Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
The surrogate, an unnamed African-American college graduate with two children of her own, was controversially not invited to Kim’s baby shower after the star admitted she hadn’t yet explained the surrogacy to her children who both would be present.
Finally, 20-year-old Kylie Jenner has ramped up what could be considered the most tension with her still unconfirmed pregnancy rumours. While TMZ claims a source has given them definitive news that she’s a mum-to-be and fans have flooded her feed with congratulations, most media have still been left scrutinising her every post for clues of the potential child she may - or may not - be expecting with rapper and music producer Travis Scott.
With the resolute silence from the Kardashian/Jenner clan holding out, there’s not much to tell, other than the fact that Kylie was notably absent from the family’s Christmas photos and that she was apparently spotted checking in to the family’s hospital in LA two days ago. TMZ claims to know her due date and it isn’t this month, so looks like we’ll be waiting for confirmation just a little bit longer.
45-year-old Dwayne Johnson, a.k.a wrestler The Rock, has announced he is expecting his second child by singer-songwriter girlfriend Lauren Hashian. The two have been together since 2007 and already have a daughter, two-year-old Jasmine. The toddler became key to helping the couple deliver news of the pregnancy as she posed with a sign in front of their Christmas tree reading: “It’s a girl! Can’t wait to be a big sister!!! And finally be the boss!”.
Dwayne has another daughter, 16-year-old Simone, with ex-wife Dany Garcia and has commented in the past about his love of being surrounded by girls in his family. The caption on his Instagram post read: “@laurenhashianofficial and I are boundlessly grateful for this blessing as this spring we’ll welcome our second baby. Plus, Jazzy is excited to boss around and protect her lil’ sis. And once again, big daddy is completely surrounded by beautiful estrogen and loving, powerful female mana. All girls. One dude. And a boy dog…I wouldn’t have it any other way.”
The 34-year-old supermodel let the world know she was expecting her second child mid-November 2017. The Australian already has a six-year-old son, Flynn, with ex-husband Orlando Bloom of Pirates of the Caribbean fame, but in 2017 she married Snapchat billionaire Evan Spiegel after a whirlwind romance and has since fallen pregnant with the couple’s first child.
She’s described her first experience with motherhood as an extremely positive one and when asked about the biggest challenge of parenthood answered “I think it's the responsibility of raising a child to be the best version of themselves. Thinking back, the sleep deprivation for the first year was pretty challenging too! But the sleepless nights were well worth it.
"Being a mother is just a huge honour. My favourite part of the day is picking Flynn up from school. Seeing his little face light up when he sees me! It is joy and love in the purest form. It's just magical seeing him grow and develop his own personality."
Unsurprisingly considering her line of work, the model maintained a strict exercise regime during her first pregnancy, and will no doubt be doing the same this time round, explaining that she practised yoga, ate healthily and even did some resistance training including squats and sit-ups.
The Maroon 5 singer, 38, is expecting his second child with 28-year-old model Behati Prinsloo who made the announcement on her Instagram account with a bare pregnancy belly photo captioned “Round 2”. The pair had their first child, Dusty Rose, in September 2016 and have wasted no time in expanding their family.
Adam appeared on The Ellen Show in November to announce that his first daughter will be joined by a second little girl. He told Ellen – who helped name his first child – that the couple will probably have more children.
“I want a lot. I thrive with chaos. I really, generally enjoy and love it. [Prinsloo] was an only child, so she wants like 100 babies. But I don’t know if I could do that.”
Read our debate on whether it’s fair to have an only child.
Having welcomed baby girl Iris in June 2016, the now 16-month-old child will be joined by a second as the Oscar-winning actor made the announcement in November that his wife was expecting. Eddie married his publicity executive wife Hannah in 2014 and, while typically very private, the 35-year-old spares no opportunity to gush about his love of being a father.
“Before you’re a parent, you hear people talking about [lack of sleep], then suddenly you’re the guy who’s floating in a constant jet lagged [state], with an IV of caffeine,” he said on The Ellen Show, but went on to explain “It’s that amazing thing when it’s 3 o’clock in the morning and you go in and you’re gently furious, and you get a little smile and your heart breaks a bit, and it’s totally worth it”.
Read our night-time survival tips for new parents.
Kate Middleton and Prince William
It’s been a hectic year for the royals: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle announcing their engagement, Charlotte starting school and the revelation that Prince William and Kate are expecting the arrival of their third child in April 2018, just a short time before the wedding day of William’s younger brother.
Reports have emerged that Kate is keen to give birth at home this time around though she had both Prince George and Princess Charlotte in St. Mary’s Hospital, London in 2013 and 2015.
Kate famously suffers from hyperemesis gravidarum, a condition occurring during pregnancy that causes severe nausea, vomiting, weight loss and dehydration. The condition stems from a hormone produced by placenta, making the Duchess’ third pregnancy no exception. William has spoken about trying natural cures such as ginger, though he admits there is only so much medicine can do.
Read more about this potentially life-threatening condition from a real Dubai mum.
With the royal wedding and birth pending, this spring is set to be a busy time for the Windsors.
There’s a huge number of celebrities expecting a new addition to their families this year and there’s sure to be more announcements and births as 2018 continues. Here’s a rundown of what we know so far:
- Ugly Betty actress America Ferrera is expecting her first child with actor husband Ryan Piers Williams.
- 30 Rock actor Alec Baldwin announced his fitness guru wife Hilaria is pregnant. The couple have three kids already, the oldest is four and the youngest just 13 months. Baldwin also has a 22-year-old daughter named Ireland from his first marriage with Kim Basinger.
- So You Think You Can Dance presenter Cat Deeley is welcoming her second child with comedian husband Patrick Kielty after giving birth to son Milo in 2016.
- Four Weddings and a Funeral actor Hugh Grant is expecting his third child with television producer girlfriend Anna Eberstein, who is already mother to his two-year-old daughter and 5-year-old son. Hugh has two children already, four and six, from his relationship with Tinglan Hong.
- Rapper Macklemore is awaiting the arrival of his second child with music manager wife Tricia Davis. The two already have a daughter who was born in 2015.
- Queen Elizabeth’s granddaughter and Olympic medallist Zara Tindall is expecting her second child with retired rugby player Mike Tindall. The couple already have one daughter, Mia, who is three and have recently opened up about their struggles getting pregnant again after Zara suffered a miscarriage in 2016.
- Late night talk show host Seth Meyers announced that his wife Alexi Ashe, who is a human rights attorney, is pregnant with the couple’s second child in November. They already have one son, Ashe, born in 2016.
- Full House actor John Stamos proposed to actress Caitlin McHugh when they discovered she was pregnant with her and John’s first child, they announced in October.
- Fall Out Boy bassist Pete Wentz is expecting his second child with his girlfriend, model Meagan Camper, who is already mother to his son Saint, born in 2014. Pete has another son from his marriage with singer Ashlee Simpson.
- American Idol winner and singer Jordin Sparks is expecting her first child with her husband, model Dana Isiah.
- Hunger Games actor Sam Claflin is awaiting the arrival of his second child with his wife, actress Laura Haddock. The pair already have a son, Pip, who is two.
- R&B artist Ne-Yo announced that his wife Crystal Smith is pregnant with the couple’s second child, after having their son Shaffer back in 2016. Ne-Yo is also father to a son and daughter by Monyetta Shaw.
- Actress and Britney Spears sibling Jamie-Lynn Spears is having a child with her husband, voice actor Jamie Watson. Jamie-Lynn already has a daughter, Maddie, from her previous relationship with Casey Aldridge.
- Footballer Wayne Rooney will be having his fourth child with wife Coleen early this year. The couple already have three sons, the oldest of which is eight.
- Composer and playwright Lin-Manuel Miranda is expecting his second child with his wife, attorney and scientist Vanessa Nadal. The pair have one son, Sebastian.